Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Au Revoir, Oprah!

Today marks the the bittersweet ending of an era in television--after 25 years of production, Oprah is calling it quits.  Her final show, which was taped yesterday in her normal studio, aired today, Wednesday, May 25.  I personally do not watch Oprah, but I have seen the show, as my mother used to watch it.  I'm usually not home when the show is on, but like I said, I have seen it.  Even for me, the ending of the show was a bit sad, and I didn't even watch it.  It's been on for 25 years, which is longer than I've been alive.  It marks a change, something I've never been very comfortable with.  It's strange to think that it's over; Oprah has changed so many lives, and her TV show has aided her in doing so.  I really don't believe she's going to stop her charity work, but one of her biggest tools is now gone.

She was surrounded by friends, family, and fans as she said good-bye today.  Memories were shared, tears were shed, and hugs were given as the end of an era went underway.  But Oprah said it best herself: "This is not goodbye.  This is until we meet again."  She still has some great plans up her sleeve.  That is something I will never doubt.

No comments:

Post a Comment