Sunday, May 22, 2011

Apparently X doesn't mark the spot...

As I'm sure you are aware of by now, I'm ready to see Pirates of the Caribbean 4. Well, apparently, the rest of the world isn't as ready to watch the swash-buckling adventure as I am.  The movie, which hit theaters last Friday at 12:00 AM, didn't bring in as much as the previous movies in the series.  Don't get me wrong, it still did pretty well; according to boxofficemojo.com, it grossed $35 million, which beat out Fast Five's $34.4 million Friday debut. Compared to the other POTC releases, though... let's just say there wasn't as much booty in the chest as we had hoped.  When the last movie, At World's End, was released, it brought in $42.9 million on its opening day back in May 2007.  Before that, Dead Man's Chest brought in a whopping $55.8 million on its opening day in July 2006.  As you can see, On Stranger Tides pales in comparison.  Curse of the Black Pearl was in a lower league as well, but that's understandable; it started the franchise.  That movie was the start of it all--it started the pirate hype. And with ticket price inflation, those grosses would be even higher today.  So, as both a Johnny Depp and Pirates fan, I'm a little disappointed.  I really don't know why the movie wasn't as popular.  Did people see it and tell their friends not to go?  Is the hype just dying down?  Whatever it is, I don't intend to just forget about it. I plan to see it because I still think it looks like a good movie.  And so should you.  I've learned not to take what other people say too seriously.  Some of my favorite movies were those that got really awful ratings and opinions.  But then again, sometimes people are right (ahem, Killers anyone?).  If a movie looks good to me, I'm going to watch it and form my own opinion. So, whatever you decide to do, make sure it's your decision, influenced by your own opinions.  Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment