Sunday, April 24, 2011

Not as Popular as Christmas

Happy Easter, everyone! I hope I find everyone content today, full of delicious food and in the company of family and friends. Today is an important day for Christians: the day Jesus rose from the dead to save the world from sin. However, I'm not here to get into the religious side of things. I'm here to talk about the entertainment! Sadly, I can't put together a list of good Easter movies to check out, simply because there are none. Trust me, I've looked. Easter just isn't the right kind of holiday to make a movie out of. Christmas, on the other hand, is the holiday that makes the big bucks. Even though Easter is the more important holiday (at least in the lives of Christians), the world has come to love the commercial side of Christmas. There are umpteen ways to make a story about a fictional fat man who falls down chimneys and brings presents, and then there are umpteen ways to make the movie itself: live action (like The Santa Clause trilogy), claymation (if movie makers want to go old-school, like Rudolf, The Year Without a Santa Claus, and Santa Claus is Coming to Town), or even animation (such as Frosty the Snowman or The Grinch Who Stole Christmas). Sometimes Christmas movies are even religious. Take The Little Drummer Boy for example. That particular movie is all about a poor boy and his gift to baby Jesus. Christmas is covered when in comes to entertainment-- TV shows do holiday specials, there are Broadways plays about the holiday season (White Christmas) and I already discussed the movie side. When it comes down to it, Easter is lacking in the movie department. I guess it's not as easy to make a movie about a rabbit and some eggs as it is to make one about Santa. However, this year, someone broke the streak and finally added an Easter movie to the mix. Hop was released on April 1st, and has been doing pretty well. According to IMDb, Hop tells the comic tale of Fred, an out-of-work slacker who accidentally injures the Easter Bunny and must take him in as he recovers. As Fred struggles with the world's worst house guest, both will learn what it takes to finally grow up. I have not yet seen the movie for myself, but I have heard good things about it. So if you're in the Easter mood, you'll have to check it out!



No comments:

Post a Comment