Saturday, February 26, 2011

Feature of the Week: Mamma Mia!

People everywhere
A sense of expectation hanging in the air
Giving out a spark
Across the room your eyes are glowing in the dark
And here we go again, we know the start, we know the end
Masters of the scene
We've done it all before and now we're back to get some more
You know what I mean...


Recognize this song? If you do, I have to give you some major props. Even if you haven't heard the song, I'm sure you've heard of the group in some form or another. Any guesses? Come on. Oh wait, what's that? You think it's ABBA? DING DING DING!!! You would be correct.

For those of you who have no idea who ABBA is (shame on you), let me enlighten you. ABBA was a popular band back in the 70s. (Perhaps you've heard of the A*Teens, a group of kids who covered ABBA's music in the late 90s, early 2000s.) Two of the group members decided they wanted to use their music to write a musical; Benny Andersson and Björn Ulvaeus worked with Judy Craymer, and Mamma Mia! was born. 

Mamma Mia! is the ultimate feel good production. I've seen both the show and the movie, and both are mind-blowing. The music is catchy, the acting well done, and the plot uplifting. When I saw the play, the atmosphere in the theater was absolutely infectious. I couldn't help but laugh, smile, and sing the whole time. Not only was the show fantastic, but on top of that, the costumes were outrageous (as you can see). I loved it! It also helped that I sat in the second row of the orchestra right behind the conductor. 

This production shows what happens when a girl gets lonely... and then her daughter wants to meet her dad. Who gets to walk her down the aisle? I guess you'll have to watch the movie and find out.

No comments:

Post a Comment